Monday, July 16, 2007

Helen Hunt Falls


Helen Hunt Jackson (1831-1885) a famed author moved to Colorado Springs in 1873. She wrote many poems and stories about the Pikes Peak Region. She started a letter writing campaign to promote the preservation of North Cheyenne Canyon as a public park.
She became outraged by the unfair treatment of American Indians. She was outspoken in defense of the Cheyenne and Arapho people after the Sand Creek Massacre (1864) and the defended the Utes (which are the Indians that used to live here) after the Meekere Massacre (1879). In order to increase the awareness of the injustices suffered by the American Indians, she wrote her 2 most important books: "A century of dishonor", and "Ramona".
It is said that there is paranormal activity going on around the area of the falls. Maybe the spirit of Helen...still trying to protect what she used to love so much?
I myself, drive up there pretty frequently. It's a very nice place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your post today and looking at your photo, I must say I agree with the lady and what she wrote about. I wrote about the mistreatment of early people by the Catholics from Spain who really were this continents firrst terrorists. If you have not read about the things the soldiers did to the natives it might be worth checking it out at your library. From Columbus right on down to the people who stepped off the Mayflower. It was a campaign of terror. Anyway.

oldmanlincoln

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

I love waterfalls, and as you may well guess, in Kansas there aren't many (or any?!). Unless of course we count the rain that falls from the sky as a "waterfall". You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful state.

I appreciate the history you included about Helen Hunt of whom this waterfall is named. Native Americans didn't get a fair deal as immigrants came swarming in from europe. The very thing they were escaping from, dictation and oppression seem to be the very thing they extended to the first occupants of this great nation. It's not something to be proud of, but a part of our history.

Dsole said...

i'm sure this must be a nice place!

i have to tell you, when I read the name of your city, it came to my memorie that when I was a child I had a playmobil house called "Colorado Spring" It was really cool, and that's how I know your city right now! :)

I like your post. It should be a magic place with that paranormal activities...

Curly said...

Nice waterfall, did you have to drive far to find it? Great narrative too.

South Shields Daily Photo

Angela said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is indeed a very sad and dark chapter of american histroy. I will have to read more into, especially since I am very interested in the american native culture. I, being myself born and mostly raised in Germany, don't know all that much about american history. At least only til a certain degree.

@Curly
Oh it's fairly easy to find that waterfall...it's one of our tourist attractions and only a 20 minute drive from my apartment. We have quite a few waterfalls around. One has actually 7 steps. But refuse to pay $15 for it again, just to take a picture. Prices here are crazy!

@Wendy
I know I am VERY fortunate to live in this place. It was my dream! I came here almost exactly 2 years ago for vacation and to get married. I imidiately fell in love with this place and we swore ourselves we would move here. In january of this year, my dream came true. It is my personal paradies :o)

Locations of visitors to this page